Bass Pro Shops Donates to Nonprofits, Launches Fishing Activities
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – Bass Pro Shops is inviting families across North America to unplug from their digital devices and discover the fun of fishing with “Gone Fishing,” an unprecedented effort aimed at reconnecting people with the great outdoors.
Comprised of more than 75 free events, thousands of product donations and collaborations with dozens of nonprofit partners, “Gone Fishing” is intended to introduce the activity to new audiences and encourage everyone to go fishing with someone they love.
“Kids today spend half as much time outside as they did just two decades ago despite countless studies touting the physical and mental benefits of getting children outdoors,” said Stan Lippelman, marketing vice president of Bass Pro Shops. “In our digital era, it has never been more important to remind everyone that fishing is an easy, fun way to get outside while spending quality time with family and friends. Our goal is to inspire millions of people to take someone fishing, especially urban youth and kids who have never fished before.”
Nationwide Donation Day
“Gone Fishing” kicked off with a nationwide donation day on Thursday, June 9. The Bass Pro Shops donation totaled more than 32,000 gently-used rods and reels to nonprofit organizations across the US and Canada that connect kids with the outdoors. The rods and reels were collected earlier this year when customers could trade them in for a discount on new gear.
In the past five years, Bass Pro Shops donated more than 216,000 items to youth-focused nonprofit organizations like the Boys and Girls Club and Boy Scouts of America.
Join the Movement
Experienced and first-time anglers are encouraged to participate in the movement by taking a friend or family member fishing this summer, posting a photo of their outing on social media channels using #GoneFishing and making a donation to Teach a Child to Fish.
Founded by former NFL player Kendall Newsome, Teach a Child to Fish is a national nonprofit organization that teaches and mentors youth through fishing programs to help them find their own true value of life and to preserve and protect the great outdoors.
Free Events and Activities at All 98 Bass Pro Shops
“Gone Fishing” includes free fishing ponds and giveaways at all 78 Bass Pro Shops retail locations June 18-19. Last year 100,000 children caught a fish at Bass Pro Shops, many for their first time.
Families will love the free activities, seminars and giveaways:
- Free Catch-and-Release Ponds – Kids are invited to catch a fish and receive a free “First Fish” certificate to commemorate the experience. Kids can also get a free downloadable photo with their fish to create a lasting memory. Noon to 4 p.m.
- Free Introductory Fishing Guide – Families can take a home an informative guide outlining fishing basics including starter gear and the best local fishing spots. Available while supplies last.
- Free Fishing Seminars – Local experts will share tips and advice on the best locations and gear to get started, as well as how to make fishing a fun experience for everyone. For times and details click here.
- Free “Gone Fishing” Door Hanger – The first one hundred visitors per day to each location will receive a sign to hang on their door to communicate their whereabouts to family members, teachers or bosses.
- Video Game Trade-In Program – Trade in a video game and save $5 off a new youth starter rod and reel combo costing $19.99 or more. Limit one per person. Games will be donated to AMVETS, an American Veterans service organization.
For more information about Gone Fishing, click here.